As we enter the holiday season, we’re also stepping into a fashion sub-season all it’s own that’s appropriately named Resort/Holiday. While it was originally produced by fashion houses to give jet-setters fresh items for their holiday excursions, it’s become much more about offering you an opportunity to invest in “buy now, wear now” items post-fall and pre-spring.
That means holiday attire, gift possibilities, and winter fashion items are hitting store shelves right now. And what we’re seeing is that much bigger and bolder trends are presenting themselves. Everything seems to have been turned up a notch with big polka dots and checkerboard prints, as well as detailed textures like crochet and sequins. And the colors at play most are our very patriotic red, white, and blue.
To help you feel fashionable from now through February, we’ve pulled together the top 30 must-have items for this mini-season.
1. KAUFMANFRANCO Leather Cape (Blue) A gorgeous outerwear piece that certainly makes a bold statement. We love the luxe feel of the leather and the zipper detailing from top to bottom. Perfect for transitioning from winter to spring, you can wear it over anything you wish from your classic day dress to jeans.
2. KAUFMANFRANCO Leather Pants (Blue) These pants are not only head turning but also beautifully versatile. It works well for this time of year and as we move into spring. We love that they feature one of the season’s hottest colors: blue. Pair them with a classic blouse, boots, and your favorite coat to work and out to dinner. And for those casual moments, they work well with sneakers too!
3. Stella McCartney Dress A feminine silhouette on trend with one of the “it” colors of this sub-season: blue. We love the nude illusion detailing and the color blocking. Perfect for an evening out. Pair back to a classic black pump.
4. Gucci Dress A seemingly structured piece with lots of movement. This dress is a tailored jersey knit that features a touch of ruffle and a pop of red, two trends in one. We love this for a day at the office. Pair it with a navy overcoat in the cooler weather.
5. Michael Kors Dress A mini dress that beautifully highlights one of the hottest trends this season: florals. We adore the cinched waist and gunmetal floral details. It’s great for transitioning from day to night. We recommend styling it with metallic accessories.
6. Sonia Rykiel Skirt (similar here) A glamorous take on a pencil skirt that features large black sequins and a mid-rise waist. Great to wear at holiday party paired with pumps and a fitted or cropped top. We love this piece styled back to a casual striped sweater with a fun black pump or sandal.
7. Balmain Sweater This sweater shows off our favorite trend of the season: checkerboard prints. We love the sharp shoulders and cinched waist. An instant statement piece you can wear dressed up or down. We love it worn with one of the “it” colors of the season: red. Pair it with a pencil skirt (#22), black sandals, and a studded clutch.
8. Chinti and Parker Sweater A classic silhouette spun with soft merino wool that shows off Art Deco-inspired stripes. Dress it down with denim and sneakers or up with a sequin skirt (#6) and pumps.
9. Roksanda Top A loose fitting top that features dramatic bell sleeves, a detail that makes the perfect homage to the ruffle trend we’re seeing this season. It pairs well with tailored trousers or a pencil checkerboard print skirt (#10). Although these sleeves already make a statement, accessorize with a choker to add some sparkle.
10. Altuzarra Skirt A lady’s classic, this pencil skirt hugs the body in all of the right places. But the checkerboard print is the star here. We like it best it paired with a slim-fitting turtleneck or statement top, a metallic bag, and a classic black pump. A look that’s great for work or going out.
11. Intermix Jacket A touch of crochet is all you need to make a statement, and this jacket does it beautifully. It’s perfect for adding a something feminine to an otherwise structured ensemble. A versatile item that works with everything and can be worn through all the seasons. In cooler months, pair it with a long sleeve turtleneck tee, leather pants, and sneakers. Then, as we transition into fall, swap the turtleneck for a short sleeve tee or tank with a pair of jeans.
12. Isabel Marant Polka Dot Dress A favorite of ours that shows off two trends: polka dots and ruffles. This dress is perfect for a holiday soiree or night out at a chic new restaurant. Pair it with a velvet pump, knee-high boot, or classic black sandal, and finish it off with a silver or black clutch.
13. BB Dakota Bomber Prepare to fall in love. This smooth, glossy sequin jacket takes the casual bomber silhouette to a whole new level, and the black color makes it easy to wear with everything. Wear it with a pencil skirt and a bodysuit to let the bomber shine or more casual with jeans and a basic boot.
14. Rag and Bone Flared Velvet Pant Velvet is here to stay, and this flared cropped pant certainly makes a statement. We love the feel of these pants and the cropped hemline making them perfect for transitioning between seasons. Pair them with a lace or ruffle top and a pair of shoes with some sparkle.
15. Carven Sequin Top The glammed up OTS top has arrived and it’s our favorite dress-up item of the season. Silver toned sequins and a waistline buckle make this an unforgettable piece that’s a must-wear for holiday events. It is a show stopper in its own, but we recommend pairing it with a tight pair of leather leggings or jeans. Keep your pants and accessories simple.
16. KAUFMANFRANCO Black Sequin Dress Meet the hottest holiday dress. We love the illusion neckline and waistline; it gives this dress just the right amount of edge without being over the top. Pair it with a simple shoe black suede sandal and handbag.
17. 3×1 Floral Bomber Hello, flower power. Florals have been a huge trend since fall, and we think this jacket embodies it incredibly well. The silk-like look of the fabric makes it easy to dress up or down. Layer on top of an OTS turtleneck, ripped jeans, a classic tailored boot, and fun metallic bag.
18. Equipment Stripe Sweater Wide stripes are chicer than ever in this soft, alpaca blended sweater. The neutral tone of makes it equally easy to pair with bold colors and other neutrals. We love it worn with sweatpants too for a little athleisure look. The perfect way to look chic and still be comfy while around family or running errands.
19. Rag and Bone Sweatpants Sweatpants never looked and felt so good. This pair is made of soft french terry cloth and features a draped front panel. Perfect for lounging or running errands. We love them styled with a white sneaker or boot for cooler days. Completely chic & comfy.
20. Red Valentino Ruffle Sweater A beauty in every way! This charming sweater showcases ruffle trim and a touch of crochet around the edges. It’s perfect for pairing with another statement item that has texture or color. Style this in winter white with a pair of silk cream pants and accessorize with a pop of color.
21. Etro Cream Pant A basic you’ll keep forever. These tailored capris have a straight-leg fit and a refreshing cream tone, making them easy to wear with tops that shimmer this holiday season. And as you transition into spring, don’t be afraid to wear white. It’s the perfect neutral to play with monochromatic looks or mixing in other tones like black, white, browns, or pink.
22. Roland Mouret Red Pencil Skirt A red hue is right on trend. This satin skirt is tailored for a “like-a-glove” fit so that you can show off your figure. Another beautiful item to be worn for holiday affairs or a glammed up day at the office. We love it paired with a textured sweater.
23. Maje Pink Robe Coat Pink is still in and better than ever. We are in love with this long, duster-style coat because it keeps things feminine in more ways that one. And it’s easy to wear from winter into early spring. We recommend pairing it with a printed blouse (#24), a plaid skirt (#25), and a nude classic pump to top off the look.
24. Equipment Polka Dot Blouse A top that works from season to season. This classic blouse subtly shows off the polka dot trend in a chicly feminine fashion. It can easily be worn with denim as well as your favorite trousers or a plaid mini-skirt (see #23).
25. Markus Lupfer Mini Skirt This season, we’re mad about plaid. This mini blends some of the season’s hottest colors brilliantly–pink and military green. A great addition to your workwear favorites that is great for keeping warm this winter and also transitioning to spring. We recommend pairing it with #23.
26. Philosophy di Lorenzo Serafini Top Ruffles, pink, and lace–3 trends in one ladylike turtleneck. We recommend wearing it tucked in with a pair of wide-leg pants, a midi-skirt, or even your favorite pair of jeans. If you’re feeling adventurous, pair it with velvet flared jeans and a Manolo Blahnik (“Sex and the City”) pump.
27. Anna Sui Dress A retro-inspired minidress that’s all about the details. This piece shows off multiple trends in one: ruffles and crochet. This season, wear it to the office with your favorite leather jacket or out to brunch with your girlfriends. Keep it simple with your neutral accessories and a nude sandal.
28. Zimmerman Coverup Going somewhere warm? This striped coverup is perfect for a weekend getaway to the beach. We love the ruffles and tassel detailing. Wear it with a pair of flat gold sandals and a linen beach bag.
29. Zimmerman Floral Dress Another warmer-weather show-stopper. This dress features trendy florals, a touch of ruffle along the hemline, and a cutout back. Fun, feminine, and flirty all in one. It can easily be worn with flat sandals or dressed up with a pink wedge.
30. Theory Pink Cardigan A cashmere midi-sweater that’s incredibly elegant and wearable right now and into the spring. We love that the pocket and tie detailing make it both fashionable and functional. It’s truly the perfect layering piece as the weather turns; wear it layered with a white button down blouse or white t-shirt and a pair of jeans.
Loving what you’re seeing? Be sure to share your favorite items with us in the comments below. We’d love to hear all about the trend you love most! And as always, if you need guidance on what’s best for your body type, we’re here to help.