Here we are, just a few weeks away from the arrival of our new princess! As you can imagine, we are beyond excited and anxious to meet this little lady and of course, style her to a T. Speaking of style, if there’s one thing we’ve learned over the past 9 months, it’s that maternity fashion isn’t as easy as it might look. The good news is, we’ve had plenty of time to get it down and are ready to share our top dos and don’ts with you. Whether you’re expecting or planning to bring your own mini-you into the world, these tips will definitely be useful.
1. Stick with Neutrals. The most important thing to keep in mind as you’re growing in your pregnancy–especially around the 4-5 month mark–is to stick with neutrals. Although there are SO many colorful prints and patterns (stripes, florals, lace), it’s best to keep your looks monochromatic and clean with classic and versatile pieces that can be worn a couple of different ways or dressed up or down with an accessory or a statement piece.
2. Wear a Statement Jacket. Since Alex’s bump has been growing most during the cooler months, she has found that the best way to dress up her looks is with a great statement jacket or coat. No matter if it’s cold or warm out, layering a fun jacket on top of your favorite basics is the more comfortable and fashionable way to go.
3. Go with Dresses Often. One of the easiest ways to look cute and feel cozy is with a dress that has some flexibility. Think: no seams so that your bump has room to grow and you can wear it at various points during your pregnancy. We have found so many pretty maxi dresses, knee length dresses, and even minis that are super wearable and can be worn a couple of different ways.
4. Choose Knitwear. If there’s one piece Alex has been reaching for over and over again, it’s her collection of sweaters. You will see as the day goes on that your bump loves to grow, so it is super smart to wear something that offers movement and comfortable, while also being chic. You can easily throw on a leather jacket (just leave it opened) or a blazer to dress up the look.
5. For Eveningwear, Keep It Simple. If you have to dress up for a special occasion, don’t worry, there are so many great options especially with pretty neutral patterns. We suggest a couple of things: 1) size up to keep with your favorite designers and 2) opt for silhouettes that may have some length and looseness to them (maxi dress style) or style a fitted dress to show off the bump.
6. Shop the Essentials. Besides your maternity jeans and pants, it’s best not to invest in too many actual maternity pieces. These days, most fashion brands including AG, Rag and Bone, Jbrand, and Paige offer maternity jeans that are pretty basic that you will live in. We recommend waiting until you get uncomfortable in your regular jeans before buying a maternity pair to ensure you get the most bang for your buck. When it comes to sweaters or knits, we’ve found that simply sizing up is the best way to go. Other bottoms that you can pick up include classic leggings from Rag and Bone for work, as well as one of our favorite David Lerner.
Curious which maternity brand we trust the most? It’s Hatch. If you haven’t checked out their collection you can click here to see more. As we mentioned, it’s best to wait to purchase these items until the bump is showing through as some of the more oversized pieces will just make you look bigger than you actually are!
We’ll be sharing our favorite maternity looks with you and make them easily shoppable so you can elevate your maternity style.